POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I shift the image plane? : Re: How can I shift the image plane? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I shift the image plane?
From: Vic
Date: 27 Apr 2002 04:58:31
Message: <3cca6837@news.povray.org>
Hi!

> I don't think you are trying to apply stereo images properly.  In your
> images, what you are calling bad (Maintaining the look_at while moving the
> camera) is actually proper.  The fact that it strains the eyes is reality.
> Hold a plate to the bridge of your nose and try to focus on the front and
> back edges at the same time... impossible.  This is effectively what
should
> happen to the disc in your picture.

The effect you mentioned is reality, but my problem is not that. I
understand, that someone cannot focus to different distances at the same
time.

> Since it is relatively flat compared to
> the viewing angle, it should be difficult to focus in on the whole disc in
> stereogram just as in reality. Or maybe i misunderstand what you want to
> achieve.

The answer to my question affects my thesis at Technical University of
Budapest ( http://www.bme.hu ), so I keep on searching for an answer. Thank
you for your patience.

My problem is the tilt of the horizontal lines appears on my "bad" pictures,
not the depth of my objects. The effect is very similar (but not identical)
to a slight rotation around the Z axis. This renders the left and right
images wrong. Please compare the horizontal blue-white transitions on the
checker texture on the "bad" and "good" versions.

It seems to be impossible to render a part of the image plane other than
<-0.5,-0.5>-<0.5,0.5> (right and up vectors respectively). These limits
seems to be graven into stone when using a perspective camera. Using
rendering settings like start_row, end_row, start_column, end_column is not
enough, because they have only pixel precision and hard to integrate with
camera placement.

Is there a way to set the "viewport limits" to other values than
<-0.5,-0.5>-<0.5,0.5>?

I will try to make some material with more descriptive examples if the
problem is not clear enought.

Again: Thank you for your patience.

- Vic -